- The Gus Bus is a mobile and school-based after-school program that provides free academic enrichment to children in pre-school through 5th grade. We welcome parents and siblings to join us on our mobile classroom vehicles and share time reading and doing hands-on educational activities together. Look for the Gus Bus in your neighborhood and learn more about this wonderful opportunity for the whole family!
- Have you seen the Gus Bus in your neighborhood? It is free to register and participate in Gus Bus activities and the book exchange program. You can complete a permission slip on the Gus Bus. If you have any questions please call 540-568-5251.
- View our schedule
Gus Bus Handbooks
- Stone Spring (SSES) Elementary English
- Keister (KES) Elementary English
- Smithland/Waterman (SMES/WES) Elementary English
- Bluestone (BES) Elementary English
- Stone Spring (SSES) Elementary Spanish
- Keister (KES) Elementary Spanish
- Smithland/Waterman (SMES/WES) Elementary Spanish
- Bluestone (BES) Elementary Spanish
These websites below offer valuable information specific to parents or guardians seeking educational/literacy support for young children.
- The Children's Reading Foundation presents a list of simple "ABCs of Reading With Your Child" in addition to another list of 101 book recommendations for you to read together.
- Reading is Fundamental offers a great selection of literacy resources, including activities, book lists, articles, brochures and a multicultural section.
- Reach Out & Read provides links to documents with tips for reading to your child, as well as book lists. This source also provides information for children's medical providers.
- KinderCare Learning Centers includes ideas for parents and guardians who want to do more in the home to help with literacy. Check out their year-round reading lists as well!
- Reading Rockets has provided a great list of other literacy-based organizations. When you're done clicking through those, be sure to check out their "Reading Resources" page.
- Zero to Three School Readiness offers an interactive online tool for parents and guardians who are seeking help for a specific age group. Simply choose your child's age range to get started!